The Care Campaign
The Care campaign is a joint drive by Nursing Standard magazine and the Patients Association to improve fundamental patient care across the UK.
Care stands for:
- C – communicate with compassion
- A – assist with toileting, ensuring dignity
- R – relieve pain effectively
- E – encourage adequate nutrition
The campaign recognises that everyone who goes into a care setting is entitled to these four fundamental aspects of care – they are a human right.
We hope patients, relatives and nurses will use this Care slogan as a care checklist. Patients and relatives can use it to pinpoint shortcomings in care; nurses can use it to articulate a case to their managers for more support, for example, more staff.
The Care campaign asks all nurses, nursing directors, chief executives and non-executive directors of NHS trusts to sign up to the Care Challenge so that ‘Care’ becomes a universal expectation for patients.
The campaign’s aims are:
- For nursing staff to adopt the Care Challenge, based on our four-point tool.
- To highlight obstacles nurses face in delivering the Care Challenge.
- For organisations to sign up to the Care Challenge.
- For patients to recognise the Care checklist and to use it to challenge poor care.
- To support nurses who expose failures to deliver the fundamentals of care.
Use the links below to find out more information and view video clips
Contact The Care Campaign: email@example.com